Skip to main content

The Girl Who Sold A Basket

     
THE GIRL WHO SOLD A BASKET


       Every morning my father made me go to the station at Deoli and sell the baskets which my younger sister and I would make. Deoli is a very small station and only a few trains would pass by. Father had met with an accident a year ago, and ever since he has been unable to work at the wood factory. Selling baskets was the only means left for us to earn money. With what little we earned, we managed to survive.
       I was only fourteen then, and being the chirpy sort, I found it troublesome to sell baskets each day. The Deoli station hardly had any excitement; a tea stall, a fruit vendor, a newspaper seller and the office of the station master. That was all. No one got on the trains that passed, and no one got off.
       Summer was the only time I enjoyed my duty. Deoli itself didn't bring any change, but the trains did. The passengers were more and there would be more noise and more happenings. The trains would stop for the same ten minutes, but looking at all the different kinds of people, and hearing them talk was fun. On these days, even my sister would accompany me. With the extra money we earned in summer, both of us would get kulfi treats. As our financial conditions were improving gradually, these treats which were numbered to two or three each summer had now increased to five or more! (But that was only if you were a good girl!)
       It was one such day when I went to the Deoli station with a few baskets. It was 5 o' clock in the morning and the station was dimly lit with a few electric lights and oil lamps. The tea seller had just begun arranging his stall. I waited at the station for the train to arrive and for the first time, I had the strange feeling that I was being watched.
       The feeling passed away as soon as the train arrived. I went down the platform, peeping through the windows, trying to sell my baskets. It was then that my eyes fell upon a young man sitting at one of the windows. He was so handsome, that I couldn't stop staring at him. He was fair, tall and dignified. He was just like the perfect 'Delhi - boy' image I had in mind. He looked down at me from the window and his searching eyes met mine. I held his gaze for some time but I quickly came back to my senses and ran towards the next compartment. His gaze followed me all the way and  I realized that he was getting down from the train. My heart beat faster and I clumsily stood behind the tea - stall, not knowing what had come over me.
       He was standing right in front of me. I made some silly movements and fidgeted with my baskets.
       "Would you like to buy some baskets, sahib?" I said in a shy voice.
       He didn't seem willing at first but then he agreed. Quickly removing a rupee from his pocket, he put it in my hand. I gave him the best basket I had. My body was quivering and I had this silly urge to jump into the train and live my whole life with him!
       The station master signalled that the train was leaving and the train's whistle rang in my ears. The young man was still gazing at me.
       "The train..." I murmured.
       He realized and quickly hurried back. The train passed by and so did the day, but the memory of that man didn't fade away. Each morning I would go to the station, eagerly waiting for him to make his return journey.
       After a few weeks, I spent my time at the station only till noon, as the feeling of being watched increased. I started feeling insecure and asked my sister to carry on my duty instead.
       Quite a few days went by and I forgot the man to whom I sold my basket. Mother would make me do all the household chores as it was high time I got married. Father, it seemed, had already thought of the ideal prospect.
       It was after two whole months that one morning, at the railway station when the clock struck 6, my eyes fell upon the same man I had fallen in love with. He had seen me and had already come out from the train. I did not go down the platform to sell baskets. He came towards me and held my hands. My face flushed and I was slipping into a dream.
       "You have to come with me to Delhi," he said.
       "I have to stay here," I replied.
       After a moment's hesitation, he said,
       "Will I... Will I see you here again? Will you continue selling your baskets here?"
       I nodded my head, unsure and uncertain. Once more the station master called out to him and he went away.
      Reality had hit me. This time I couldn't forget him. I felt that I could make and sell all my baskets to him everyday! I wanted to see him once more at the station. My feelings for him grew, just like the space between me and the man whose name I didn't even know.
      I wanted to share my feelings with someone, but I wasn't able to. The next week itself, I was to be married. The man with whom my marriage had been arranged had been watching me at the station everyday. He had even seen the man from the city hold my hands. This had angered him and the whole marriage ceremony was performed in haste. I had to leave home and start a new life with my husband and his family. I was restricted to the house, and since then, I  have never crossed over the station walls.
      My hearts leaps each day when I hear the whistle of the early morning train. And each time it whistles, I have the urge to go and see the man who I had sold my basket to. Does he still search for me? Or has he forgotten me? Perhaps he never crossed over Deoli again...
      I still continue to make my baskets now, but I have stopped selling them.


*Inspired from Ruskin Bond's "Night Train At Deoli"
**I wrote this just to improve my writing. Don't forget to correct my mistakes, and maybe, be a little generous with your advice!! :)

Comments

  1. its nice.. :) some small mistakes which i've already told u.. otherwise good!

    lot of ahems inside though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant believe that you wrote love story... :D
    It's really good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danke, Danke!! :)
    Niha, shutzie!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice.. well structured.. and i love short stories.. the charm of short stories is to leave them hanging! really helps. Also, selling baskets at 05h00 is kinda flimsy na? that said, almost no grammatical mistakes and the romantic approach is kinda nice :) keep o writing!!! :) bon courage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danke!! And the 5 o clock thing is from the ruskin bond story itself... so dont blame me!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I likesss its :)
    A love-story finally..:P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, Maryam - great going! OK - my two cents: First of all, I'm very impressed! To write something original is itself agonizingly hard, but to take an existing story and to shape it into something new must be even harder, I think!

    I like how you took Bond's story and told it from the girl's viewpoint - very clever! I also like how your story is more complex than his.

    I felt the pace of the story could have been better maintained - I found it a little abrupt towards the end. From the part that begins with, "I wanted to share..." it suddenly hurtles to the end.

    Otherwise it's great.

    Just a couple more things.

    Watch your tenses.

    And watch your facts. Does the train arrive just after 5, or closer to 6? The girl goes to the station at 5, but two months later, the young man exits the train at 6. Does she normally get to the station an hour before the train actually arrive? Or has the arrival time changed?

    Also, when the girl first spots the young man on the train, he's sitting down. How does she know he is tall?
    OK, perhaps she can still make that out - maybe even while sitting he can clearly be made out to be a tall person. But when you describe him as fair...is he fair-skinned or fair-haired? This sort of thing you cannot translate from Indian languages straight into English. In English, I have always understood the word 'fair, when describing the physical aspects of a person, to mean fair-HAIRED, just like in English the phrase tall, dark and handsome, means tall, dark-HAIRED and handsome.
    In Hindi or Urdu it would automatically mean fair-skinned, or dark-skinned, but not in English. In English, fair can also mean beautiful (for a woman), but I think that's kinda archaic now. Maybe I'm nit-picking, maybe it needs looking into, and maybe since this is an overtly Indian story the English English rules don't apply because we probably have Indian English rules now that are universally intelligible. I don't know! But probably something worth chewing on.

    And this could be more elegantly phrased: Mother would make me do all the household chores as it was high time I got married. Huh? You're implying a logical connection here that I do get, but from a global perspective, this could cause puzzlement.

    Let's see, I think that's quite enough for a critique for now :)

    I love this sentence: The train passed by and so did the day, but the memory of that man didn't fade away. Beautiful!

    Great job, and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YIKES!!!! I didn't realize I wrote SO MUCH!!! SORRY! (cringing)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice story...kept up the attention n emotions up..keep writing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, everyone!
    Azra Apa - I think you're the only one who's generous enough!! Thanks a lot!! I faced two problems while writing this; the tenses and the last two paras. Both of which you've pointed out. Bhai(Umar) always tells me to get my facts straight. Inshallah, I'll try to better myself next time.
    And Niha and Arshiya - what's the deal with the love story?! Even my mom didn't have a problem with it!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. very nicely written short story indeed, Maryam. your prose has definitely matured over the last few years. though i hv not read Ruskin Bond, but as Azra has commented, the inspired story is well written. somehow, i liked the quick end of the story, as this is reflective of real life experiences & is in tune with the intended story being short.
    well done, Masha-Allah, keep it up beti.

    Abbu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Masha Allah Maryam ... good one !!! ok .. now i've read it...when u postin da next one ??!!! Waiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ASAK Maryam, although the content is not very big you are able to convey a complete story. The way you have written it makes me visualize the station & the description of the morning & all that is so nice. Well done, i hope something funny comes next as this felt a bit sad towards the end ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Call Of The Ocean

THE CALL OF THE OCEAN The sound of the gushing waves, Brought a smile to her young face. Running to the window, She witnessed Nature's grace. She placed her hands against the window pane, Far away, she noticed something coming her way. Wiping her tears, she gazed on, earnestly, At the Ocean spread all around - O what a wonderful scene! The rays of the sun danced on the ship's mast, Just like a net, on the ship - it's Light it had cast. Curiosity took over the little girl's mind, Behind the glass, is it not beauty that she'll find? In the dark of the night she listens to that Voice, Every night it says to her: Make Your Choice. With open arms, I call out to you, I yearn for dreamers, just like you. The waters receded, giving her a chance to speak, Ocean, do not be mistaken, for my dream is weak. Never will I be able to break these bonds, The view from here is more than I could want. On this the Ocean rose once more, Trying to move across the shore. Don't yo

Drought

DROUGHT There is no use, whining and complaining. You do not hear our meek, feeble voices. While you dance and rejoice in cool cascades, Burnt, barren - I lay on the blazing sand. Last summer did I harrow through the dirt, Digging deeper into my six feet pit, Sowing kernels I will never watch bloom - A meagre inheritance for my son What use is it now to keep that scarecrow? No yield remains for birds to snatch and steal. I have stood with my arms outstretched, waiting To be but denied by God's scavengers. So let me stand before this pleasant noose - A fertile ring against desolation. - Maryam Kaleem A late upload - dedicated to those farmers who have suffered due to the drought in recent years. Monsoon is here now, Alhamdulillah. I pray it rains enough. I pray our farmers live a happy, prosperous life. I pray they escape persecution. I pray they never have to take such drastic steps to have their voice heard.