Skip to main content

Alternate End to "The Jewels"


We were given an assignment by our English professor to change the end of the story "The Jewels", written by Guy de Maupassant. And here is my version. Hope you like it!




         After Madame Lantin passed away, M Lantin nearly followed her to the grave. His grief knew no bounds. He couldn't imagine life without her. All those days of bliss he had spent with her were now over. He yearned to see her smile once more, but he knew it would never be possible. His plight was now clear to him. The meager income that he earned was not enough to fulfill his own needs. Despite his grief, he continued to work at the Ministry; and he worked even harder, knowing the loneliness that would greet him at home.

            A day after the tragic incident, M Lantin had received a letter from a wealthy man of Paris. The letter was meant for Mme Lantin, and it was obvious that the man had not heard about her sudden death. The letter seemed to be a very considerate one, enquiring into the health of the lady, and hoping to see her at the theatre soon. "Perhaps the man was a well wisher of my wife," was all that M Lantin could conclude.

            Poverty had struck M Lantin like a dagger. His savings were finished before he knew it, and a week before the end of the month, he was already in debt. In the next few days, he was starving to death. Driven by agony, he thought of selling the jewels that his wife adored so much. He picked up his wife's favourite necklace and decided to visit the jeweler in order to sell it. While walking towards the shop, he wore a grin on his face; despite his grief, as if cherishing a secret which was about to be made known.

            M Lantin did not reel in shock. In fact, he was pleased with what he heard. At the jeweler's, he was told that the jewels were not paste, but were real after all. Unusual though it may seem, M Lantin's heart sang! The necklace was real and cost 12,000 francs. The most obvious conclusion was that the rest of the jewels were real too. His wife was not what she seemed to be. She had got the money from somewhere, and even a simpleton like M Lantin knew that the jewels were presents.

            M Lantin was still grinning, unconsciously showing the pride of already knowing the truth beforehand.
            M Lantin, the simple yet shrewd clerk, had not forgotten the letter which was addressed to his late wife. On reaching home, he wasted no time in reading the man's address;

M. Cadeau,
11, Rue de Valentine,
Paris


            The next day M Lantin was heard talking to M Cadeau who was unusually sorry to hear of his wife's demise.
            "... and ever since she passed away, dear Sir, I have lost all interest in life," said M Lantin. "You see," he continued, "now my meager income isn't even enough for my own needs! She has made me miserable! Look at me now. My heart broken. My clothes tattered. My stomach starving! Do you not have any pity for me?"

            M Cadeau felt sorry when he heard his plea, and genuinely ventured to help M Lantin. M Lantin spoke of his wife's faults with rancour. He spoke of her love for jewels and produced these from a small bag that he carried. M Cadeau was impressed. He greatly admired the jewels and asked him from where they were bought. M Lantin provided him with all the details, and then asked him if he could buy the jewels from him.

            M Cadeau, being a wealthy man, readily considered the prospect put forth by the widower. "I would like to study the jewels, Lantin. Only then will I be able to give you my quotation. Give me some time."

            "M Cadeau, I am a poor man. I have been starving since days! How can you expect me to give you time? The longer you take, the sooner will I die!"

            M Cadeau's heart melted. He requested M Lantin to wait till the evening. He promised to give him his quotation until then.

            A smiling M Lantin was seen leaving Rue de Valentine. But once he had reached his home, his smile transformed to hatred. Anger and contempt towards his wife gushed from his heart. He tore down her room entirely and smashed her possessions to pieces. For hours he remained impulsive, and nothing pacified him.

            But again in the evening, a smiling M Lantin was seen at 11, Rue de Valentine. He met M Cadeau warmly, and both the gentlemen got down to business. A deal of two hundred thousand francs was at last settled upon.

            M Lantin, feeling slightly indebted to M Cadeau for finalizing the deal, invited him for a drink. The two spoke for long about current affairs and other business. However, at the end of the tête-à-tête, M Cadeau complained of sickness, and expressed his desire to leave. Thus ended their short acquaintance.


***


            Eight days later, the widower read in the newspaper that M Cadeau had died due to inflammation of the lungs. A slow smile appeared on M Lantin's face, just as it had done after the death of his wife, as he remembered the vial of poison locked up in his cupboard.



THE END


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl Who Sold A Basket

      THE GIRL WHO SOLD A BASKET        Every morning my father made me go to the station at Deoli and sell the baskets which my younger sister and I would make. Deoli is a very small station and only a few trains would pass by. Father had met with an accident a year ago, and ever since he has been unable to work at the wood factory. Selling baskets was the only means left for us to earn money. With what little we earned, we managed to survive.        I was only fourteen then, and being the chirpy sort, I found it troublesome to sell baskets each day. The Deoli station hardly had any excitement; a tea stall, a fruit vendor, a newspaper seller and the office of the station master. That was all. No one got on the trains that passed, and no one got off.        Summer was the only time I enjoyed my duty. Deoli itself didn't bring any change, but the trains did. The passengers were more and there would be more noise and more happenings. The trains would stop for the same ten minutes

The Call Of The Ocean

THE CALL OF THE OCEAN The sound of the gushing waves, Brought a smile to her young face. Running to the window, She witnessed Nature's grace. She placed her hands against the window pane, Far away, she noticed something coming her way. Wiping her tears, she gazed on, earnestly, At the Ocean spread all around - O what a wonderful scene! The rays of the sun danced on the ship's mast, Just like a net, on the ship - it's Light it had cast. Curiosity took over the little girl's mind, Behind the glass, is it not beauty that she'll find? In the dark of the night she listens to that Voice, Every night it says to her: Make Your Choice. With open arms, I call out to you, I yearn for dreamers, just like you. The waters receded, giving her a chance to speak, Ocean, do not be mistaken, for my dream is weak. Never will I be able to break these bonds, The view from here is more than I could want. On this the Ocean rose once more, Trying to move across the shore. Don't yo

Drought

DROUGHT There is no use, whining and complaining. You do not hear our meek, feeble voices. While you dance and rejoice in cool cascades, Burnt, barren - I lay on the blazing sand. Last summer did I harrow through the dirt, Digging deeper into my six feet pit, Sowing kernels I will never watch bloom - A meagre inheritance for my son What use is it now to keep that scarecrow? No yield remains for birds to snatch and steal. I have stood with my arms outstretched, waiting To be but denied by God's scavengers. So let me stand before this pleasant noose - A fertile ring against desolation. - Maryam Kaleem A late upload - dedicated to those farmers who have suffered due to the drought in recent years. Monsoon is here now, Alhamdulillah. I pray it rains enough. I pray our farmers live a happy, prosperous life. I pray they escape persecution. I pray they never have to take such drastic steps to have their voice heard.