Skip to main content

Because You Said, "Enjoy!"

BECAUSE YOU SAID, "ENJOY!"


It's getting harder to enjoy the day
When the neighbour's son is questioned
For growing his beard,

When the girl with a cloth
Over her head
Is mocked for having no sense
Of progress, of modernity, of civilization.

It's getting harder to enjoy the day
When the little girl
With the foreign sounding name
Is the last to be picked
On the cricket team,

When elders warn the young,
Don't say it aloud
Don't send it as a message
Delete everything you have
When all you have is nothing.
Nothing upon nothing upon nothing.

It's getting harder to enjoy the day
When a mob murders a man
Cutting him to pieces
Ecstatic in celebration,
While they stay busy
Studying the type of meat
He was carrying,
And they are still
Ecstatic in celebration.

It's getting harder to enjoy the day
When they say
They all say
They have weapons
Weapons to protect the land,
(To guard, to defend - they insist.)
A force stronger than the military,
And the rest look on in silence.

It's getting harder to enjoy the day
When the only help you get
Is thoughts and prayers,
And an inquiry into the son's whereabouts
And a warrant filed
And an arrest carried out
And a notice stuck
Crying
Beware! Beware!
Here resides a criminal.
Without trial.

Suspicion and fear
Is now everyday make-up.

It's getting harder to enjoy the day.
There is nothing left
To hold on to
There is nothing left
To enjoy.


- Maryam Kaleem


Comments

  1. A bitter truth of today of course. But every culprit would surely be punished as the judgment is promised by our almighty where there is no place for bribe and corruption.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl Who Sold A Basket

      THE GIRL WHO SOLD A BASKET        Every morning my father made me go to the station at Deoli and sell the baskets which my younger sister and I would make. Deoli is a very small station and only a few trains would pass by. Father had met with an accident a year ago, and ever since he has been unable to work at the wood factory. Selling baskets was the only means left for us to earn money. With what little we earned, we managed to survive.        I was only fourteen then, and being the chirpy sort, I found it troublesome to sell baskets each day. The Deoli station hardly had any excitement; a tea stall, a fruit vendor, a newspaper seller and the office of the station master. That was all. No one got on the trains that passed, and no one got off.        Summer was the only time I enjoyed my duty. Deoli itself didn't bring any change, but the trains did. The passengers were more and there would be more noise and more happenings. The trains would stop for the same ten minutes

The Call Of The Ocean

THE CALL OF THE OCEAN The sound of the gushing waves, Brought a smile to her young face. Running to the window, She witnessed Nature's grace. She placed her hands against the window pane, Far away, she noticed something coming her way. Wiping her tears, she gazed on, earnestly, At the Ocean spread all around - O what a wonderful scene! The rays of the sun danced on the ship's mast, Just like a net, on the ship - it's Light it had cast. Curiosity took over the little girl's mind, Behind the glass, is it not beauty that she'll find? In the dark of the night she listens to that Voice, Every night it says to her: Make Your Choice. With open arms, I call out to you, I yearn for dreamers, just like you. The waters receded, giving her a chance to speak, Ocean, do not be mistaken, for my dream is weak. Never will I be able to break these bonds, The view from here is more than I could want. On this the Ocean rose once more, Trying to move across the shore. Don't yo

Drought

DROUGHT There is no use, whining and complaining. You do not hear our meek, feeble voices. While you dance and rejoice in cool cascades, Burnt, barren - I lay on the blazing sand. Last summer did I harrow through the dirt, Digging deeper into my six feet pit, Sowing kernels I will never watch bloom - A meagre inheritance for my son What use is it now to keep that scarecrow? No yield remains for birds to snatch and steal. I have stood with my arms outstretched, waiting To be but denied by God's scavengers. So let me stand before this pleasant noose - A fertile ring against desolation. - Maryam Kaleem A late upload - dedicated to those farmers who have suffered due to the drought in recent years. Monsoon is here now, Alhamdulillah. I pray it rains enough. I pray our farmers live a happy, prosperous life. I pray they escape persecution. I pray they never have to take such drastic steps to have their voice heard.