Skip to main content

The New Release

THE NEW RELEASE


Rough, muddied hands,
Innocent, yet weathered,
A child of the streets
Orphaned and disowned by Love.
A breeding ground of emptiness.

Round, wide eyes
Of chocolates and diamonds
Twinkling by the light of the passing car.
But a mischievous smirk
Yellow from ear to ear
Reveals the blackened mind.

Bewitched by Fate
Riding his thoughts,
His hands stretch to gather all
All, all that survive,
All that thrive
All that are happy, bold and alive.

While Fate's puppets dance
Through light and shadow,
Arrows shoot from his once round eyes.
Hands muddied and bloodied,
Heads splintered and sullied,
Threads snapped with the greed
Of a child with gluttonous zeal.

With a new scene behind,
Puppets, curtains fall to the floor,
Now showing hunger and laughter and gore!
Met by an audience of gasps and claps
And chants of encore - 
Now in Hundreds, now in Dozens,
Until One screams "No more! No more!"

A child born in hunger,
Beaten, bruised, kicked in anger,
With Fate his mother,
Hearkens not whether you clap, roar,
Or collapse lifeless, surrendered.


- Maryam Kaleem


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl Who Sold A Basket

      THE GIRL WHO SOLD A BASKET        Every morning my father made me go to the station at Deoli and sell the baskets which my younger sister and I would make. Deoli is a very small station and only a few trains would pass by. Father had met with an accident a year ago, and ever since he has been unable to work at the wood factory. Selling baskets was the only means left for us to earn money. With what little we earned, we managed to survive.        I was only fourteen then, and being the chirpy sort, I found it troublesome to sell baskets each day. The Deoli station hardly had any excitement; a tea stall, a fruit vendor, a newspaper seller and the office of the station master. That was all. No one got on the trains that passed, and no one got off.        Summer was the only time I enjoyed my duty. Deoli itself didn't bring any change, but the trains did. The passengers were more and there would be more noise and more happenings. The trains would stop for the same ten minutes

The Call Of The Ocean

THE CALL OF THE OCEAN The sound of the gushing waves, Brought a smile to her young face. Running to the window, She witnessed Nature's grace. She placed her hands against the window pane, Far away, she noticed something coming her way. Wiping her tears, she gazed on, earnestly, At the Ocean spread all around - O what a wonderful scene! The rays of the sun danced on the ship's mast, Just like a net, on the ship - it's Light it had cast. Curiosity took over the little girl's mind, Behind the glass, is it not beauty that she'll find? In the dark of the night she listens to that Voice, Every night it says to her: Make Your Choice. With open arms, I call out to you, I yearn for dreamers, just like you. The waters receded, giving her a chance to speak, Ocean, do not be mistaken, for my dream is weak. Never will I be able to break these bonds, The view from here is more than I could want. On this the Ocean rose once more, Trying to move across the shore. Don't yo

Drought

DROUGHT There is no use, whining and complaining. You do not hear our meek, feeble voices. While you dance and rejoice in cool cascades, Burnt, barren - I lay on the blazing sand. Last summer did I harrow through the dirt, Digging deeper into my six feet pit, Sowing kernels I will never watch bloom - A meagre inheritance for my son What use is it now to keep that scarecrow? No yield remains for birds to snatch and steal. I have stood with my arms outstretched, waiting To be but denied by God's scavengers. So let me stand before this pleasant noose - A fertile ring against desolation. - Maryam Kaleem A late upload - dedicated to those farmers who have suffered due to the drought in recent years. Monsoon is here now, Alhamdulillah. I pray it rains enough. I pray our farmers live a happy, prosperous life. I pray they escape persecution. I pray they never have to take such drastic steps to have their voice heard.